Back and neck pain is common in older people. The condition develops as people get older. It can make your life a hell, but it can be easily treatable without resorting to surgery.
Causes of Back and Neck pain
- In most cases back and neck pain is caused by trauma, injuries and strains to the back such as sports injuries and excessive physical activity.
- Viral infections that result in muscular pain cause back and neck pain. In medical terms this condition is known as myalgia.
- As a person ages his/her spine and all the structures that supports spine starts becoming weak. This results in degenerative changes of the spine which another possible cause of back and neck pain.
- Infection of the spine
- Abnormal growth such as bone spur or tumor
- Obesity that increases weight on the spine and puts pressure on the discs
- Muscle tension or spasm
- Poor muscle tone
- Muscle or ligament tears
- Joint problems such as arthritis
- Poor postures and wrong lifting techniques do cause back and neck pain which you can easily treat by learning the right posture and lifting techniques.
Treatment of Back and Neck Pain
The most common treatment option used for back and neck pain is medications with anti-inflammatory and pain killing properties. Alternative therapies such as acupuncture along with physical therapies and exercises are also used to treat back and neck pain. Cold and hot compresses are used to alleviate the pain. In case of severity, your doctor will be the best person to guide you in this case.