Pelvic Girdle Pain – Causes, Symptoms, Prevention
Pelvic girdle pain(PGP) can be a minor ache to searing sensation which wraps around the back and crawls down to the burgeoning belly. It is very tough to pinpoint pelvic girdle pain because it is a wide ranging problem. This is very often seen in women during pregnancy at some point. This is different from symphysis pubis dysfunction. In symphysis pubis dysfunction, discomfort is more generalized and is not caused by the weak ligaments.
CAUSES OF PELVIC GIRDLE PAIN:
The following are some causes of pelvic girdle pain.
- Expanding tummy puts more stress on the joints, muscles and bones on the back and pelvis
- Strenuous work
- Previous pelvic girdle pain
- History of pelvic trauma
- Baby position alters the loading stress on the pelvic joints and ligaments
- Previous lumbar pain
- Pelvic joints moving unevenly
SYMPTOMS OF PELVIC GIRDLE PAIN:
Here are some symptoms that many women experience:
- Struggle to stand or sit
- Difficulty in lifting leg
- Unable to stand on one leg
- Feeling of symphysis pubis
- Pain moves down to leg
- Pain in legs
- Inflammation and swelling in the joint
- Mal-alignment of back joints or pelvic
- Pain in hips and restricted hip movement
- It can be associated with bowel or bladder dysfunction
- Difficult to transfer weight from pelvis and legs
PREVENTION OF PELVIC GIRDLE PAIN DURING PREGNANCY:
Acupuncture is the most popular way to reduce the pregnancy disorders, like pelvic pain. The following measures can be followed to prevent pelvis girdle pain.
- Apply a heating pad on the painful muscles and joint.
- Place a pillow between the knees and sleep on your side for aligning the hips.
- Wear a pelvic girdle, prenatal belt that provides support to belly.
- Talk to the health care provider if the pain is severe.